Its crazy to see how much money really controls things. Apparently the recession is a good thing for young emerging artist. Art is a business that pretends not to be a business. I read an article in the last few months (can't remember where) about corporate sponsorships in museums and the influence they have on curators and directors. A lot of the bigger corporations only want to sponsor younger 'hip' shows. There seems to be a lot of exhibitions showing young artist as well as young themes.This was a few years ago, but does any one recall 'Beautiful Losers"? and the under 33 show? Saatchi (spelling might be wrong) is known for promoting young artist but I am not sure its a money thing for him, isn't something he has always done?
While reading the article I also started thinking about a conversation we had with Clive last semester. "if the world was ending and there was nothing being produced and no major economy what would we do?" Would art still be made? If all the little white cubes disappeared what would we do? I personally think art would still go on, like it always has. People would still create and respond to their surroundings in one way or another. If all our supplies (ink, paper, tools, darkrooms) what would we use? Would it be a time of hardcore conceptual art? Readymades? Collages?
2 comments:
Its crazy to see how much money really controls things. Apparently the recession is a good thing for young emerging artist. Art is a business that pretends not to be a business. I read an article in the last few months (can't remember where) about corporate sponsorships in museums and the influence they have on curators and directors. A lot of the bigger corporations only want to sponsor younger 'hip' shows. There seems to be a lot of exhibitions showing young artist as well as young themes.This was a few years ago, but does any one recall 'Beautiful Losers"? and the under 33 show? Saatchi (spelling might be wrong) is known for promoting young artist but I am not sure its a money thing for him, isn't something he has always done?
While reading the article I also started thinking about a conversation we had with Clive last semester. "if the world was ending and there was nothing being produced and no major economy what would we do?" Would art still be made? If all the little white cubes disappeared what would we do? I personally think art would still go on, like it always has. People would still create and respond to their surroundings in one way or another. If all our supplies (ink, paper, tools, darkrooms) what would we use? Would it be a time of hardcore conceptual art? Readymades? Collages?
http://www.beautifullosers.com/film.html
Post a Comment