Excellent post (Words on Collaboration). Here's a link to the original article by Claire Bishop mentioned in the interview between Bishop and Roche.
The Social Turn: Collaboration and its Discontents
Friday, September 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thanks for the post Amber. I've been thinking about it and collaboration makes sense to me. As artists we have several things in common so why not work on projects with people where your ideas overlap? Besides, we are always turning to each other for feedback and ideas so developing pieces together just seems natural.
I agree tobi and am looking forward to our 'cube'. its been really great having you, melissa,xi,and matt downstairs working. There is more of a community of artist than last year. I love the conversations we have generated by stopping in each others studios for feedback. Last year Clive (visiting artist) had your studio and we would constantly ask each other what we thought of a drawing, sketch, model, or ideas. It was really great, at times when you don't feel so confident in what your doing its great to have a studio friend to give there input or suggestion.
P.S.
The fake 'tree' you are going to plant helped generate the planting idea I am working on right now : )
I wanted to add another thought about Clive, in his recent work you can see how he was influenced by his time in boulder. Sometimes its seems weird feeding off of each other, maybe because I would not want anyone to think I was copying them. Its important to throw those thoughts aside and give in to the 'give and take' a community of artist can provide. In Bruce Mau's "Incomplete Manifesto" he encourages us to imitate because we will never get to the real thing but new things can come out of this, like branches off of a tree. I will post a link for this manifesto.l
Post a Comment