Monday, January 18, 2010

Urban Alchemy


I missed seeing this show in St. Louis over break but I think I'm going to try to go back to check out Gordon Matta-Clark's new show called Urban Alchemy( LINK) . While I was there over break I did a lot of visual research focusing on the cities decay as well as the decay in the rural area surrounding the city. I want to further explore these forms this semester paying close attention to the details and how the structures relate to the space and how they create space.

I don't know if any of you ever experience this feeling..... but its something I want to see and need to see, but at the same time I don't want to see it thinking it might mess with my 'vision'. Then again I remember Bruce Mau's Incomplete Manifesto #35 Imitate and I start to feel a little better.

"Don’t be shy about it. Try to get as close as you can. You'll never get all the way, and the separation might be truly remarkable. We have only to look to Richard Hamilton and his version of Marcel Duchamp’s large glass to see how rich, discredited, and underused imitation is as a technique."

1 comment:

fodness said...

I like the reference to Robert Morris