Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Giant Horse
Has anyone read about this? I'm curious what people think. As an artist I'm interested in it and would be fascinated to see it made but I can also see why some people wouldn't like it and how it would be intrusive. Is this a situation where the artist hasn't considered the area for their public art piece and is imposing their ideas or does it work because it is a horse in the country side? This also makes me think about the giant blue stallion at the Denver airport by Luis Jimenez. I wasn't a fan at first but once I understood the work of the artist and saw it a few times on the horizon as I drove towards it I grew to appreciate it. The difference here is that no one lives right by it and doesn't have to have it installed outside their window.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It seems as though the artist did consider the site and the mixed cultured identity of the people living in Kent. Because the artist took an icon from the county's history I suppose it will not be considered a piece of 'plop art'. Public Art seems to always encounter this push and pull because you can't make everyone happy all the time. I love that the little girl questioned if it was a boy horse or a girl horse : )
Post a Comment