Sunday, October 4, 2009

The MOMA on HULU

I came across this video on Hulu.com about the MOMA here is the LINK.

The episode at times is somewhat surfaced and covers some simple subjects however its great to watch when your relaxing or doing some mundane activity (like folding laundry or making foil armatures).  What I found most interesting was the discussion by MOMA’s printmaking curator, Deborah Wye.  She believes when researching a particular artist the best way to see the way that artist has worked and progressed is to look at their prints.  In the video she uses Picasso  as an example and its quite beautiful and amazing to see how he simplifies the form through a series of lithographs.  I feel like some believe we are in an era where printmaking is dead but after listening to Wye talk about the process one begins to question the possible end to printmaking.  

 Peter Galassi, the Chief Curator of Photography, had this great one liner that has such a great resonance with me when talking about the experience of being at the MOMA …….. “if a 1000 people come for a visit there should be 1000 different experiences”.  

The episode also gives a great short history of the founders of the MOMA, which was a nice overview for me.  Its also interesting to see how much the MOMA may have made America great and influenced our future. 

I recommend going to Hulu.com and doing a general search with ‘contemporary art’ there are some great videos to watch, my favorite is the one on Los Carpinteros. 

1 comment:

Amber said...

sorry if my post are hard to read, I write them on Word and copy and paste, thats why the print is lighter in color.